Choosing A Software Name: Top Ten Tips
Is it really all in your software name? Well, maybe not, but in naming software products or services you do need to take some key considerations into account. These are our top ten tips for software product naming or for naming your software company:
- Do ensure that your product name is not already in use by someone else, and there are no legal/trademark issues with using it.
- Try to find a name that is memorable (easy for potential customers to remember) and pronounceable.
- Make it easy to spell. If a potential customer hears the name from a friend, you want them to be able to easily search for it on Google, or type in your domain name, without making spelling mistakes. If that means you have to purchase two different domain names, then you should go ahead and do that.
- Your product name should convey something meaningful and positive about your product to your target customer base. It could convey a key product feature, or a benefit of using your product. If you’re unsure, then choose a few different options and run them by potential customers, asking them what they think of when they hear that name.
- Check available domain names before naming the software. You want an easy-to-remember domain name available that should be the same as your software name (as a .com, if you’re in the US – don’t bother with .net etc).
- Another key consideration in naming software is to make sure your product name is Search Engine-friendly. It should be a word you can use as a keyword easily in your website without seeming awkward, and ideally it should be a word that is included in searches potential customers might do to find a product or service like yours.
- Do a Google search on the product name, just to make sure there are not negative references that pop up that might turn off your customers. Even if you know they have nothing to do with your product or your company, don’t assume your customers will know that.
- Make sure the product name you are considering is not offensive or inappropriate in any country where you will be selling your product. Check to see it does not have some unintended meaning in another language.
- If possible, choose a software name that starts with a letter that comes early in the alphabet. That way, you show up close to the top of lists of software, lists of vendors, etc.
- Finally, does your product name have good graphic potential? Does it inspire a cool logo or image that you could use in your marketing?
Choosing a compelling software name is just one component of a successful software product or software company launch strategy. Also take a look at
this article with a key checklist for planning for a software launch.
RETURN FROM SOFTWARE NAME TO SOFTWARE MARKETING STRATEGY
RETURN TO SOFTWARE MARKETING HOMEPAGE
Get Your Sales & Marketing Strategy Audit
to sign up for our Sales & Marketing Strategy Audit service. We've got fantastic feedback from clients. Involves a quick review of your current sales & marketing, website etc, and some specific recommendations for improvement.
Get Your Audit Now
Free eZine Signup
Join the Software Marketing Tookit Member Program
Become a member and access all our resources and coaching for one low subscription!
Starts at $47/month.
SIGN UP HERE!
Search this Site
Software Marketing Blog